birding-aus

climate change & bird distribution

To: <>
Subject: climate change & bird distribution
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 18:09:47 +1000
There has been a good deal of material about the southern extension of range
of more northerly species which may be due to climate change. Less has been
said in Australia at least about the converse - the possible shrinkage of
range of more southerly species.

South-east Queensland is the northern limit of range of quite a few
southerly species, so here would presumably be a good place to look.

I have found, going through my old notes, that Crimson Rosellas in southeast
Queensland were, in the 1970s, once widespread and common in places where
they are now scarce or absent - for instance, about Little Yabba and
Booloumba creeks in the Conondale Range. The species is still common in high
mountain, high rainfall sites such as the Border Ranges, but there is little
doubt in my view that it has declined sharply in numbers elsewhere in the
region.

In similar vein, I believe populations of Satin Bowerbirds have fallen,
especially at lower altitudes. South-east Queensland is the northern limit
of range of the south-east Australian populations of both Crimson Rosella
and Satin Bowerbird, though both species have disjunct populations in north
Queensland. I do not know if anything is happening with their populations up
there.

A third species, the Red-browed Treecreeper, does not occur north of
southeast Queensland. I believe its numbers have also dropped sharply in
this region. It was formerly a regular site, for instance, in the Blackall
and Conondale ranges, but it seems to be much more scarce there today.

Food for thought.

Greg Roberts