birding-aus

Re: Recent Ruff Sighting - An apology

To: "'Mark and Mandy Young'" <>
Subject: Re: Recent Ruff Sighting - An apology
From: "Jon Irvine" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:39:00 +1100
Hi Mark,

I do not think you should be held accountable for the stupidity of others. I
believe disseminating information on the location of an unusual bird is
generally a positive thing, both for our understanding of the birds and for
the birds themselves. I'll draw an analogy with my Lewin's Rail posts on
Birding-aus and elsewhere from this year and last year.

Last year saw a large amount of birding interest in the rail and of all the
people who came to see it, 99% behaved responsibly. However, there was one
occasion someone actually tried to get into the pond area by either climbing
the frog fence or circumventing it, no doubt sending the ducks and other
birds into flight. The frog fence is there for good reason; it dissuades the
locally endangered Green & Golden Bell Frogs from venturing onto the road
and it minimizes disturbance to them. Although I have not actually noticed
any G&GBFs in this particular pond, the same protection is afforded to ponds
elsewhere in the park so the principle remains the same. Unfortunately, a
very few individuals will do selfish things to the detriment of the
wildlife. Although I do feel responsible for this, news travels fast in the
birding community and I am sure that a similar amount of people would have
got to see the rail regardless of my post, through word of mouth and
ultimately someone else posting the sighting.

The benefit of additional eyes looking at the rails came when birders
reported that the birds had a juvenile with them, a valuable breeding record
for the park. This almost certainly would have gone unnoticed if birders
were not present at the pond.

A similar amount of interest has been shown this year and again a juvenile
bird has been sighted. Also seen by birders present has been a pair of foxes
in the pond area on more than one occasion and this has been reported to
Sydney Olympic Park. If SOPA can take measures to minimize fox predation in
the area then this will have a direct benefit to the birds themselves that
would otherwise have been overlooked if birders were not present.

Cheers,

Jono