birding-aus

RFI multiple sites (longish)

To: <>
Subject: RFI multiple sites (longish)
From: mebalestri <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:02:00 -0500
I have enjoyed the Ground Parrot/Twitchers thread and am soon to descend on
your country for the second time as a "pest" in February.  Last time we had
the good fortune to spend a couple of months visiting many of the eastern
birding areas (including a pelagic out of Wollongong), as well as Melbourne,
Darwin, and Alice Springs.  We thought we were going to be able to spend
this time exploring Western Australia before a cruise leaving out of Sydney,
but money constraints put the kibosh on that.  So we are left with a cruise
that starts in Sydney with one day (unfortunately) stops in Melbourne,
Hobart, Adelaide, Fremantle and Geraldton before going on to Singapore,
Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand.

So my questions are:

What pelagics are we likely to see along the southern and western coast and
then up to southeast Asia?

We have a couple of days in Sydney and I am interested in seeing crakes,
snipes, bitterns, and other hard-to-find species.  Any suggestions?  We may
have a rental car to get around here.  (We went to Royal Nat'l Park and Blue
Mountains last time--loved both).

Since we can't get into Werribee without a local (we were privileged to have
someone show us around last time-another fantastic spot) any suggestions for
a good spot for a day's birding in Melbourne using public transportation or
a taxi?

I would like to see as many endemics on Tasmania as I can.  What is possible
given that we would likely have to rely on public transportation? Can
someone propose an itinerary (or maybe a guide)?

Good spot for a day in Adelaide?  And how about Geraldton?  Someone has
already graciously offered to show us the hot spots around Fremantle and
Perth.

We also like to do "touristy" things (my husband is a professional
photographer), so if you have suggestions of "must see/do" fun things in
lieu of birding, I would appreciate them.

By the way, I agree with Bob Cook, who said "We Australian birders are
Almost totally of the type that you mention you have encountered on prior
trips and will offer friendliness, companionship and as much helpful advice
and support as we can."  My husband and I found this to be true in our
travels throughout your country.  I hope one day to be able to return the
many favors that we received.

I also hope we will be back next year (if our stock market ever recovers) to
spend more time than just one day wonders.

Many thanks for any help.

--
Marcia Balestri
Frederick, MD, USA