birding-aus

Papuan Harrier RFI

Subject: Papuan Harrier RFI
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:32:06 +1000
I am currently researching (for my work-in-progress New Guinea Field Guide) field characters of Papuan Harrier Circus spilothorax, which is split from either Eastern Marsh Harrier or Swamp Harrier (depending on who you follow)- see the Raptors of the World- A Field Guide by James Ferguson-Lees and David Christie (2005), and Robert Simmons "Harriers of the World" The IOC have acknowledge the arguments and accepted the species, which is a NG endemic. That said, it is still poorly known and a number of things could do with much more information:

Simmons states that in the central highlands there exists a male form that has a sharp division of the black of the head and chest from the underparts, whilst elsewhere this division is heavily streaked black. I have not seen one with such a clear demarcation, I always thought the black streaking was a good field character to eliminate an (unlikely vagrant) male Pied Harrier, so my query is has anyone out there actually seen birds or specimens that lack this black streaking and have such a sharp division?

Female and imm. plumages are very similar to Swamp Harrier, but it is looking as if the pale whitish patches on the head or nape of Papuan may be a useful pointer.
The rustier underparts of Swamp may also be useful.
Papuan has a banded rather than finely barred tail.
A key point here though is does Papuan Harrier female or imm ever show a white or pale rump? The limited literature seems to suggest not, which could be a very valuable field character. I'd appreciate direct contact to me if anyone can contribute here, and thanks in advance.

The species is a possible vagrant to northern Australia, but field identification issues cloud any claims.
Phil & Sue Gregory
Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au