birding-aus

Re: ground parrots

To: <>
Subject: Re: ground parrots
From: "Liz" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:02:28 -0000
Tony

I do hope you're joking!
I have been a lurking member for the over 18 months. I joined to glean info for our "big trip" through Oz over our winter last year. We are from OS - I'm Scottish and my other half is South African. We currently reside in Cumbria, England, so I suppose we're what you would also call "poms".

We spent a lot of money in your country from FNQ to Kangaroo Island and took up the services of at least 2 members of birding-aus (Del Richards and Simon Starr) We also stayed at accommodation provided by at least one member of birding-aus (Kingfisher Park). Thankfully, none of the above mentioned people treated us as "pests", as you would have us branded. They were, without exception, very friendly and helpful and made a big difference to our trip. In fact everyone we met on our trip was very hospitable and welcoming and we made some great new friends. By the way, 2 of the businesses mentioned are run by what you may people originally from OS - would you call them "pests" too? Even said in jest, your comment really isn't helpful. We are hoping to come back for another "epic" this (our) winter. Maybe you'd prefer us "pests" to go spend our hard-earned money in another country? I do hope you're a minority voice. I can also guarantee if you came over to the UK, you wouldn't be considered a "pest" - I can't think of anyone I know here in birding circles who would consider any OS twitcher/birder as a "pest".

Excuse me if you think I've had a humour bypass, but your comment hit a nerve.

Liz (an OS "pest)