birding-aus

Congratulations to Jack Moorhead on reaching 700 Australian birds

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Congratulations to Jack Moorhead on reaching 700 Australian birds
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:51:18 +1000
I don't know if anyone has ever kept a record, but it is highly likely that Jack is the youngest person by many years to see 700 species of birds in Australian territory. I wasn't expecting him to reach that figure before his fifteenth birthday.

In the longer term, a decision for Jack will be whether he wants to chase a world bird list. Psychologically, world bird listing is a "different league". There are also some species that require travel into significantly more hazardous locations than one might find in Australia [e.g. violent locals].

Has any Australian cracked the 7000 species mark [to pluck a figure out of the air]?

Regards, Laurie.