birding-aus

Fire threatened Golden-shouldered Parrot Habitat

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Fire threatened Golden-shouldered Parrot Habitat
From: "Kirrama Wildlife Tours" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:53:55 +1000

I have just returned from guiding my last tour of the year to Iron Range
(the 22nd December tour since 1992) where as usual we had great views of all
the endemic species as well as many others. The Red-bellied Pittas started
calling and were seen on the 13th of December.

However, on our return via our usual stop at Musgrave Station to search for
the Golden-shouldered Parrot (amongst other species) we learnt that the
night before a fire had gone right through the area. Staff from both
Musgrave Station and Artemis Station were up throughout the night fighting
the fire and managed to control it and therefore protecting most of the
parrots' habitat.  The next morning we were able to find the birds although
the total bird population of the area compared to earlier trips seemed to be
much lower.  This was probably due to their dislocation as an immediate
result of the fire.

It is indeed fortunate that so many willing people were available to protect
such a critically important habitat. Hot fires are sometimes wanted and
needed, but it has to be controlled and planned. This one wasn't.

Cape York was again severely burnt this year, and every year it seems to get
worse. The same areas are burnt every year, and that's not good for any
animals or plant species on the long run.

Let's hope for a good wet season for a change!

            All the best and have a great festive season,

Klaus

Kirrama Wildlife Tours

Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut

PO BOX 1400

INNISFAIL

QLD   4860

Australia

Phone: 07  4065 5181

Kirrama Web Page:

 <http://www.kirrama.com.au> http://www.kirrama.com.au

Web Directory of Australian Birdwatching:

 <http://www.ausbird.com> http://www.ausbird.com

05:40:00