birding-aus

Eastern Koels take Victoria

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Eastern Koels take Victoria
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:52:28 +1100
Hi Peter

Pure guesswork on my part, based on some crude 'back of the postage stamp' guesstimates that of these 32 records, some/most have been individuals recorded 2-3 times in different locations. With conspicuous (noisy) species like this one, where individuals seem very mobile, and the birding community is on heightened alert, I wouldn't assume much under-reporting. If there were a couple of dozen Koels in Melbourne currently, I think we'd be getting many more records coming in. (Of course there must be some records not making it to either Birdline or Birding-Aus.) Trust me, the analysis I'm applying to my PhD work on urban birds is more rigorous! I'm really trying to provoke some discussion and thinking about the advancing hordes of Koels (it seems to be working).

regards, Lawrie

Peter Shute wrote:
Lawrie, is your estimate of <10 birds from 32 records based on a formal
estimation technique?  I would have thought that if there had been 32 birds
detected by birders, then there should be many more that weren't detected, so I
would say I didn't have a clue how many there were.

--
Lawrie Conole
Northcote 3070