birding-aus

One arm point and beyond(dampier peninsula, near Broome

To: birding aus <>
Subject: One arm point and beyond(dampier peninsula, near Broome
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:49:49 +1030
We went on a short boat trip out from one arm point on Saturday and there
was not much to report in terms of birding, except on both islands we
stopped on there were beach stone curlews standing on large rounded rocks,
which was an interesting sight.   We have had channel billed cuckoo here at
Djarindjin over the last week, but I think they may have moved on now.

This morning I went to Gambanan campground but no Gouldian Finches, but a
good selection of waders on beach.   The most interesting place was sewerage
ponds for One Armed Point where there was a black necked stork(I hate
calling it that and it is certainly not black necked) royal spoonbill,
whiskered tern, wood sandpiper, whistling kite, brahminy kite, white ibis
and very many rufous throated honeyeaters drinking from the ponds.  Also
brown honeyeaters, masked lapwing, silver gull,willie wagtail and grey
crowned babbler.   I did see a little egret feeding in a way that I haven
never seen before, by catching some flying insects above the water of the
sewerage pond.  It stood motionless and was frequently catching insects in
its bill, which looked far too big and cumbersome for such delicate work.

Gary