birding-aus

Western Ground Parrot, species or subspecies?

Subject: Western Ground Parrot, species or subspecies?
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:00:12 +0800

Steve Potter wrote :
>How long is a piece of string....
>
>Try that question with Albatrosses, Grasswrens, and Crimson
Rosella...

Perhaps Steve has not read the Wingspan article.  The DNA shows that Western Ground Parrot is as different to the "Eastern" Ground Parrot (including the SA specimens) as Western Thornbill is to Buff-rumped Thornbill.  I don't think it is in the paper, but Western and Eastern Yellow Robins are similar I believe.  The distance is far more than the albatross.

One should never jest (or cast uneducated doubt) about matters such as this, with a species so precariously on the brink.  At its present rate of decline, it will be extinct in a decade, conceivably in as little as five years.

In theory it should not matter whether it is a species or a sub species, certainly for WA funding, but we all know that it can be a factor.