birding-aus

Western Ground Parrot, species or subspecies?

To: "Birds" <>
Subject: Western Ground Parrot, species or subspecies?
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:48:58 +1030
Hi all, I asked this question yesterday and a number of contributors
referred me to an article in Wingspan - which I got hold of and read.
As suggested by others the article however only suggests that this
parrot ought to be a species rather than a ssp because it's DNA and
colouring  is somewhat different to the eastern form. It was further
suggested however that splitting to species status might be a ploy
towards easing the gaining of funding for a recovery programme, ie, for
a species rather than a subspecies, a discussion possibly fraught with
factional fireworks.
All this aside, does anyone actually know  whether it is to be
considered a full species or not? Surely some authority out there has a
firm opinion on this and would he/she kindly enlighten us?  Or is it
naughty to ask ?

Tony.