birding-aus

mangrove birds Manganan campground Dampier peninsula, Broome

To: birding aus <>
Subject: mangrove birds Manganan campground Dampier peninsula, Broome
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:24:22 +0930
This is s top spot, great views and great mangrove birding.   In half an
hour last night, I saw female mangrove golden whistler and male shining
flycatcher.  Exquisite bird, changing colours from deep blue to turquoise as
he moves in the light.   My wife and I then settled down for a beer on the
beach and a male mangrove golden whistler came out and sat around in full
view, for quite a few minutes.  (This is the way she prefers her bird
watching: good views, without the mud and the mozzies!)
This morning I went the other direction in the mangroves and immediately
came upon mangrove robin, an adult and an immature bird.   Close by was
mangrove grey fantail and after stumbling through mangroves I flushed a
straited heron.

Further on, whistles alerted me to what turned out to be a pair of white
breasted whistlers and a little further another mangrove robin.  Coming back
there was male mangrove golden whistler.

The mangroves here are a little more open than other places I have been to
on the peninsula so it is easier to squat down and see some considerable
distance into them.

When we arrived at campground last night I said, "it doesn't look very
birdy", but it turned out to be excellent, also taking into account the
Gouldian Finches(subject of another email).

Gary