birding-aus

Re: Wader Identification at Long Reef.

To: <>
Subject: Re: Wader Identification at Long Reef.
From: "Mark and Mandy Young" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:13:43 +1100
G'day everyone,

Thank you to everyone who helped with my last ID request. It appears that
the bird is a Collared Sparrowhawk, and not a Grey Goshawk.

This time I have seen 3 waders on Long Reef Marine Reserve on Thursday that
I am not familiar with, and I was hoping I could again get the help of more
experienced birders to positively ID the birds.

Wader #1

-          Has a downward curved beak

-          Yellow legs

-          A general reddish colouring

-          A clearly defined white supercilium that extends from the eye
backwards, but not in front of the eye.

-          Slightly larger than a Red-necked Stint

The first photo shows the bird by itself; http://tinyurl.com/yh468w4

The second photo shows the size of this wader in comparison to the group of
Red-necked Stints around it. http://tinyurl.com/yfzp4w9

Wader #2

The jiss of this bird is that it's a much larger Red-necked Stint.

-          It has the a longer beak than a RNS

-          A dark patch from the eye to the beak.

-          A white supercilium

-          Quite happily foraged with the RNS

The first photo shows the bird foraging by itself. You can clearly see the
features through the head, breast and the rest of the bird.
http://tinyurl.com/ygqgkm3

The second shot is a comparison shot showing the size of the bird in
comparison to the smaller Red-necked Stint and the blurred Pacific Golden
Plover. http://tinyurl.com/yfogblg

I feel that this one may be a Sanderling, but as I've misidentified the
Red-necked Stints as Sanderlings before, I would rather not make that
mistake again.

Wader #3

And last but not least, wader #3. At this point I'm not sure if it's an
entirely different bird, or it's the same species as Wader #1, just with
much less breeding plumage.

I have fewer photos of this bird, as I didn't even see it until I got home
and checked my photos.

 -  Yellow Legs

 -  The beak appears to be straight, but that may be the photo and it may
indeed have a slight downward curve.

 -  The crown, supercilium and general shape and colouring is very similar
to wader #1, but a lot more paler.

 -  The overall patterning of the wings and body seem very similar to wader
#1, but a lot paler.

This next photo shows all 3 birds, with a Ruddy Turnstone in the foreground,
and a Red-necked Stint in the lower right corner.

Wader #3 is the bird on the left. With wader #2 partially obscured behind
it, and wader #1 is on the far right. http://tinyurl.com/yfwlmfu

Thanks for you help,

Regards,

Mark