birding-aus

Re: IR lights was Re: LED (by Mike Carter 21 Sept 2009) MARK and MIKE

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Re: IR lights was Re: LED (by Mike Carter 21 Sept 2009) MARK and MIKE
From: Chris <>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 20:17:54 -0700 (PDT)
I use (and sell) wildlife cameras which emit IR light and capture photographs
or videos that appear black and white. Most times the mammals don't appear
disturbed at all. I have seen a few skinks and have a colleague that has
captured snakes on camera, so even though the cameras are triggered by movement
of a temperature gradient across the field of view, even cold-blooded animals
trigger them. Birds, of course, also trigger the cameras.

I'm aware of a study currently under way which seeks to summarise all current
research on the use of IR cameras with wildlife. It won't be ready for
publication until next year.

I also had the pleasure of playing with a heat-signature camera whilst filming
a documentary on the Tasmanian tiger. These cameras require no other light
source than ambient light. The image is green and black and wildlife (at least
mammals) stand out from a mile away - almost literally! It's the kind of stuff
that military use and I'm sure you're familiar with the image from mainstream
movies :)

Chris.