birding-aus

koels

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Subject: koels
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:29:29 +1000
Hi Greg,

The name 'brain-fever bird seems to have been used for the Koel, by English speakers right through Asia as well. Interesting how the interpretation of the BFB's call changes with language. In Bengali they are supposed be saying "my eyes are gone", in Hindi, "where's my love?" and in Marathi, "the rains are coming! You could probably make some interesting Haiku, using a rendition of the CHC's call from one language per line of Haiku.

Cheers,

Carl clifford