birding-aus

Strange Parrot seen in Gooseberry Hill suburb of Perth, WA.

To: <>
Subject: Strange Parrot seen in Gooseberry Hill suburb of Perth, WA.
From: "Ben Allen" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:57:55 +0800
Yesterday, a friend phoned me to come and see a strange parrot hanging around
their garden in Gooseberry Hill area of Perth.  He was not a knowledgeable
birder but had recently done the Canning Stock Route in company with a keen
birder who had enthused him somewhat.

The description defeated me and when I later saw the bird, I was equally
mystified.  I did not see the bird for long but I did get a good view.
Unfortunately I did not have a bird book with me although in retrospect I don't
think it would have helped.

It appeared to be a cross between an Australian King-Parrot and a Red-winged
Parrot.  The head and upper body were a wonderful lime green like an immature
or female red-winged parrot but it also had a crimson lower breast & belly like
a female King-parrot but with much stronger colours more akin to the male.  The
bird also had strong crimson wing shoulders and wing coverts - much more colour
than a typical Red-winged Parrot would show.  The bill was a neutral buff or
bone colour.  I don't remember any blue colour at all.

I spoke to the owner of a local aviary bird business and he indicated that
crosses of these two species were not uncommon but all the photos he showed me
from his books indicated a bird with military-green colouring like a
King-parrot rather than the light lime green I had seen.  The photos also
showed birds with far weaker/less definite colours than I had seen.