birding-aus

Waterbirds in Clarence Valley NSW North Coast

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Waterbirds in Clarence Valley NSW North Coast
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:23:07 +1000
During our survey for Black-necked Storks last Thursday we observed a number of
other waterbirds.  The most interesting record was that of a pair of
Yellow-billed Spoonbills nesting in a tall Forest Red Gum near Lawrence.  I had
found another Yellow-billed Spoonbill nest two weeks before, also in a Forest
Red Gum.  It was on Woodford Island.  These are the 5th and 6th north coast NSW
breeding records.  I recorded the species breeding at the Lawrence egret colony
site in 2006 and 2007 and found 3 active nests in the Everlasting Swamp, near
Lawrence in 1987.  The Handlist of birds in New South Wales by Morris, McGill
and Holmes states "Coastal nesting recorded at Grafton in 1961-62".  We also
observed two separate pairs of Australasian Shovelers with ducklings.  Local
breeding by this species is rare.  We also had a number of observations of
Comb-crested Jacanas, observed two (and heard a third) Buff-banded Rails and
saw a number of Brolgas.   On Saturday I observed my first Latham's Snipe for
the season at Gilletts Ridge.

Greg Clancy
Coutts Crossing
North Coast NSW