birding-aus

Albatross taxonomy

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Subject: Albatross taxonomy
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:13:13 +1000
I have a problem (as a non biologist) with this statement - and with a
recent post from John Penhallurick in which he stated (from memory) that two
of the possible Albatross species could not be separated genetically based
on analysis of a certain gene.

Now to my ignorant way of thinking all characteristics of animals (except
possibly some learnt behaviour?) are determined by genes. If I can tell the
difference between a Chestnut Teal and a Grey Teal then there must surely be
some genes (or parts of genes) which differ - otherwise why are the two
species obviously different to me? To say they are indistinguishable
genetically implies to me that either characteristics such as colour are not
determined by genes (in which case what does determine them?) or that the
analysis of genes is based on either a subset of the entire gene (and is
thus missing such components) or is not sufficiently sensitive to determine
such differences.

I would be interested to have someone who understands such matters explain
in simple terms how birds that cannot be separated genetically have such
different appearances.

Dave