birding-aus

Using binoculars

To: "'Shirley Cook'" <>, "'Philip Veerman'" <>, <>
Subject: Using binoculars
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:29:46 +1000
Not bird-related, but just as amusing and it has a biological theme:

In the late 1970s, one of my zoology lecturers was conducting a study of the
population genetics of a species of snail in coastal dune vegetation that
was adjacent to a beach nudist colony. He spent lots of time in the dunes on
his hands and knees collecting snails and also putting paint dots on the
shells of other snails to determine the extent of their dispersal across the
dunes. On more than one occasion he was questioned by (probably friendly)
nudists, because they thought he was a "peeping tom" who was hiding by
crawling through the dune vegetation!

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW