birding-aus

(no subject)

To: k b <>
Subject: (no subject)
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:45:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kylie,
Looking at the area on Google maps it seems you're talking about the cleared
land diagonally opposite the house on that corner?  Probably the best thing
would be to spend some time looking at the remaining forest nearby (you may
need to get permission from the owners) and try to find out what kinds of
plants the birds are feeding in.  That would give you a good guide to which
plants to put in first.  Trees will take a long time to grow, but shrubs will
establish themselves more quickly while the trees are growing.  Many birds like
to feed in things like wattles for example.  It looks like a ridge top site so
they would need to be plants that grow well in drier soil.  You don't want to
have to maintain the plants once they have become established!
Flowering native plants will attract honeyeaters, and dense shrubs will
encourage small birds like wrens.
There may be some locals on the list who have specific bird lists for the area.

=======
Rob Geraghty