birding-aus

Lloyd Nielsen

To: Paul Doyle <>, Peter Shute <>, <>, <>
Subject: Lloyd Nielsen
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 07:22:48 +1000
Of passing interest.

Before he moved to NQ, Lloyd operated a plant nursery on Tamborine Mt (in
from the Gold Coast).  And he was a whizz at finding Albert Lyrebird nests.
In fact he was the only person I'd ever heard of (until three years ago) who
could with reasonable certainty find them.

As a Qld N Parks officer, I was carrying out research on Albert Lyrebird
vocal behaviour - 1969-72.  I wanted to get data on the timing of
egg-laying.  I knew I had no hope of finding the nests myself and got the
Department to employ Lloyd for one week each year to find therm for me.

Now there is a second Albert Lyrebird nest finder  ... but sadly (for me) he
lives in Victoria.  Learnt on Superbs.

Cheers

Syd