birding-aus

Bushell's Lagoon, near Windsor NSW

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bushell's Lagoon, near Windsor NSW
From: Alistair McKeough <>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:58:57 +1000
Had a nice morning at Bushell's Lagoon, near Windsor yesterday.

Plenty of activity, with pink eared ducks, chestnut teal, pelicans, little
pied cormorants, zebra finches and little grassbirds all over the place.
There were plenty of egrets about and a white necked heron almost landed on
me as I sat in the long grass quietly watching some purple swamphens in
magnificent colour going about their business. The black swans were honking
away and a cute family of Australian grebes was skittering about, seemingly
having a great time. I also flushed a family of I think six (could have been
seven) brown quail at one point.

There were plenty of raptors about - a pair of sea eagles resting in a dead
tree poking out from the lagoon, whistling kites about and a couple of swamp
harriers quartering low over the road - at one stage they came right down
low to check us out!

A lovely bonus just as we were leaving was very nice views of an azure
kingfisher.

I hope everyone around Sydney else is enjoying this time of year as much as
I am.

Alistair