birding-aus

Re: Southern ACT birding, Namadgi

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Re: Southern ACT birding, Namadgi
From: Evan Beaver <>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 06:34:06 +1000
Well, I didn't realise what a rare observation the Red-Chested Button
Quail would be, so I'd better put some meat around the bones and be a
little bit more descriptive.

It was definitely a button quail, that much is certain. First
impressions on the markings I thought it was a little stubble quail;
generally brown, mottled over the back, markings up over the back of
the head and around the neck. The chest was plain, ie not barred like
a painted, so I eliminated that pretty early on. They were
'chek-chek'ing to each other, but I'm pretty sure that's common among
the BQ's. It was biggish for a BQ, I'd estimate up to 15-16cm. All
that was left was to see if it was a little BQ. The characteristic I
chose to split them, as I'll admit it was a pretty quick observation,
was the marked flanks, not chest, of both birds (it was a pair), and
the darker heads. So, it's not a Little, it's not a Painted.... must
be Red-Chested?

The habitat was dry sclerophyl down the hill, but up near the road it
is quite a sparse, grassy woodland. Clumps of dry grass, with some
bare dirt in between, with some spindly euco's in amongst it. I'm well
aware that this is not a fantastic set of observations to ID a fairly
rare bird, but really, what else could it be?

Opinions?

EB