birding-aus

Southern ACT birding, Namadgi

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Southern ACT birding, Namadgi
From: Evan Beaver <>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:39:57 +1000
Birders,

I haven't done much birding around my new stomping ground yet, and did
my first serious birding in months on saturday, in the southern bits
of Namadgi National Park. We followed Boboyan rd down through the
park, and walked up to the Boboyan Trig point. Allegedely a 3 hour
walk (return), we were standing on the summit in about 25 minutes,
wondering what all the fuss was about. I had a french visitor
(Balthazar) with me who wanted to see some wildlife. We saw some
Eastern Greys pretty early on, and some bush birds, but it was pretty
cold and blowy so it was fairly quiet. Some families of Superb FWs
along the track, some King Parrots, Crimsons, Galahs, and a female
robin I didn't get a very good look at. Not bad, but not the sort of
diversity I was used to in the Blueys.

So, I whinged once we were back in the car that you don't get the same
sort of diversity as the Blue Mountains, and besides, it's knackered
after the fires anyway. We stopped at the next lookout north of here
(I can't remember the name, but it's pretty obvious if you want to go
there) and caught the sunset. A Swamp/Black wallaby hopped past and
Balthy was happy with that. I then heard a bit of scratching in the
grass to the left, and wandered around to check it out, hoping for an
echidna, maybe an early wombat. Saw nothing obvious for a minute or 2,
then stumbled onto 2 Red-Chested Button Quail, which was a tick for
me. Haha I said, happy to be eating my earlier words.

So I'm sure there is some good birding around. I need to find some
wetlands to look for Aussie Bittern and some of the southern ducks,
then figure out where to go inland for Budgies and Cockatiel, which
somewhat embarrasingly I still haven't seen in the wild. Good times
ahead.

EB

--
Evan Beaver