birding-aus

RFI technology versus biodiversity

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: RFI technology versus biodiversity
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:48:19 +0000
John,

I don't know the specific theory you are referring to but there are very
similar contemporary models. To begin with, anything related to James
Lovelock's recent writings, which has got more air-time recently (he was famed
for the gaia hypothesis in the '70s). There are two articles on the EIANZ
Ecology website that I would recommend reading (see below), including a recent
YouTube presentation on the steady state economy. It looks at the relationship
between human and natural capital - which seem similar to what you recall.

As you indicate, these theories are all very fundamental to the current
situation we find ourselves in regarding climate change. It is still amazing
however, how much natural capital we invest in technology to reverse problems
that are exacerbated due to loss of biodiversity. With EIANZ Ecology we are
continually pressing the point that biodiversity management (including
reversing biodiversity loss) is a critical part of the solution. Perhaps the
Deep Ecologists will win out in the end - Lovelock's theories were shunned in
the '70s and now considered mainstream (his works were done as a NASA scientist
working on Mars research). Lovelock thinks time's up for us monkeys. He's been
right once before...

Here are a couple of starting points:
http://eianzecology.blogspot.com/2008/09/gaia-hypothesis-and-climate-change.html
http://eianzecology.blogspot.com/2007/09/ecological-macroeconomics.html