birding-aus

small spotting scope

To: david taylor <>, Frank Antram <>
Subject: small spotting scope
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:41:45 +1000
True, but if compact tripods were sturdy, everyone would be using them.
However, even a flimsy tripod is far better than nothing.

For a long time I used a small tripod I found years ago at a trash and treasure
market, and it wasn't that bad.  It's disadvantages were that it was a little
lower than I'd prefer, and the legs were in 4 sections not 3, meaning I had to
fasten and unfasten 9 legs joints rather than 6 each time I used it.  The leg
sections were so short that sometimes it was necessary to collapse two leg
sections rather than just one when putting it still erected in and out of car
boots.

It was also not safe to leave the scope unattended in windy conditions, as it
was light enough to blow over.

Mine had the collet type of clamps on the legs, rather than the more usual
screw or quick release clamps (I'm not sure, but suspect Gitzo use this type).
While a bit of a pain to operate, these have the advantage that they don't
protrude from the legs at all, and there's nothing sticking out to continually
get caught on things in your backpack.  Mine had a normal head mount, so I was
able to remove the wobbly, heavy steel head it came with and put a better one
on, but I suspect that might not be such a common feature, so you'd have to
check that before buying.  Maybe consider putting a very simple ball head on
it, to save weight and reduce the size even further?

These little tripods are often quite cheap, although I'm sure there are
expensive versions, and are therefore stocked by lots of camera shops and
department stores, so you shouldn't have much trouble trying one out to see if
they'll do the job.

Peter Shute