birding-aus

Re: Aggressive Eastern Yellow Robin

To: <>
Subject: Re: Aggressive Eastern Yellow Robin
From: "Mark and Mandy Young" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:15:03 +1100
G'day Everyone,

I've posted this request on behalf of bevcosta, who has posted an unusual
request for help regarding a couple of Eastern Yellow Robins at the Birds in
Backyards forum.

Below is the full text of her post;

"I am having a problem with a couple of eastern yellow robins. I live on a 5
acres property outside of Caboolture. The property has many birds but only
in the last few months the eastern yellow robins have taken up residence. My
problem is that in the last couple of weeks they have taken to coming to
each of the windows in the house (which has many - floor to ceiling) and
constantly attacking what I can only assume is their reflection in the
windows. I have rung the Queensland Museum and they suggested that I put a
cutout of a large bird of prey in the window to scare them off. This is not
working and as this behaviour starts as soon as the sum comes up (5.00am)
and continues all day it is becoming increasing tiring. Can anyone suggest
anything that may help or even a reason for their behaviour. This website
says that mating season is between July and January so I am assuming it has
nothing to do with mating. HELP!!!"

Regards,

Mark Young