birding-aus

Southport pelagic - preliminary month by month spreadsheet

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Southport pelagic - preliminary month by month spreadsheet
From: robert morris <>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 05:51:38 +0000

Dear All

as a seabird fan and a reasonably regular traveller on the Southport Pelagic, I
have put together a preliminary spreadsheet of the seabirds recorded on 27
trips, on a month by month basis. Most of this data is publically accessible on
birding-aus and some of it is from the trips I've been on. I did it for my own
use, but if anyone wants a copy please let me know. The excel spreadsheet will
give you a reasonable idea of what you might see on a month by month basis - 58
species were noted on these 27 trips.

Health warning: I should say that this spreadsheet is far from comprehensive as
most trips do not get reported and there is a lot more data. SOSSA's website
lists 74 species for Southport (see:
http://www.sossa-international.org/Pages/Side%20Pages/SouthportBirdList.htm).
The data set has a maximum of 3 trips in any one month and therefore it is
difficult to get a real picture of how frequently some species are likely to
occur, particularly as the trips where rarities occur are more likely to get
reported on birding-aus.

I mentioned this spreadsheet to Paul yesterday and I have offered to analyise a
more comprehensive set of data if available.

Please email me if you'd like a copy.

Kind regards

Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia