birding-aus

A sad but joyful ending to the Parrot filming expedition

Subject: A sad but joyful ending to the Parrot filming expedition
From: Donald Kimball <>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 16:37:14 -0800 (PST)
Just a note to mention to my birding aus friends that I am now back in North
America after 6 months of filming parrots in Australia.  To be honest when I
arrived as a wide-eyed Canadian in Sydney on August 27/08 I figured that I
would be fortunate to see about 75 percent of Aussie parrots and film maybe 1/3
of them.  What a fortunate "bloke" I am...!   I now have footage of all species
except for Night Parrot.

Of course some of the footage for some is less than ideal (ground parrot one
fleeting shot) for example etc, but for me it was more about the joy of seeing
a group of birds in the wild that I can only view in avairies or cramped cages
in pet stores here in North America.  I will never view this group of birds the
same again after Aus.  I am simply stunned by the adventure!

The real purpose here though is to thank first of all thank Russell for his
work with this fantastic site and to the many many fine Aussies on here that
wrote me personally with tips and locations of where to see parrots.  A request
on my part was literally answered by several others within a matter of 2-3
hours most of the time.  I cant imagine a more helpful birding community on the
planet.  My time and travel direction was literally based on the location tips
I learned about from Birding Aus.

Highlights of the trip would have to be watching and filming a relaxed but
playful acting group of 6 Princess Parrots in Western  Aus, A Palm Cockatoo
entering and exiting a nest cavity in Cape York, and 2 Scarlet Chested Male
Parrots fighting for a shady spot in 47 C weather in South Australia.  I will
never forget the treasure of seeing and being amongst Aussie parrots, and I
cant imagine a more exciting Aussie Adventure!!!!!!!!

Thanks whole heartedly to everyone that interacted or wrote me while on this
journey!

Don Kimball