birding-aus

Some Buffy Comments

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Some Buffy Comments
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 09:35:13 +1000
Given that many BAussers may not have seen a Buff-breasted Sandpiper and may not be able to get to see the Bundy Buffy, I've put together a few impressions I got of the bird yesterday.

The text in P&K starts by saying that BBS are "about the same size as s Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, but more plover-like". My impression of the BBS was that it was more like an elongated stint than a Sharpie - it had a much smaller diameter than a sharpie would have.

One of the first things that jumps out at you are the proportionately thick yellow legs. As is the case with Red-capped Plovers [one of the other birds in the vicinity] it appears to be proportionately longer legged than a Red-necked Stint.

You also notice the buffy neck and chest. However the intensity and direction of the light will affect the apparent intensity of the "buffyness". In the scope or in the photos, the dark eye is accentuated the pale eye ring.

Compared to a RNS, it appears to have a longer neck and its neck appears to be extended when it is walking about. (The BBS was on the move for most of the two hours I spent on it - I didn't see it roosting, so I can't say whether it hunches up like a RNS when it is loafing). Partly because it has a longer neck, it appears to have a proportionately smaller head than an RNS. Its head-shape around the bill is also a bit "warped". Compared to a RNS, it's bill appears to be longer and finer.

Compared to the description of an Upland Sandpiper (another rare long- necked yellow-legged vagrant), it is relatively smaller, its primaries are about level with its tail and it has a pale underwing.

It didn't maintain the same basic posture all the time, but when moving, its body was often in a horizontal plane - with its bill not far above the line of its tail. While it was feeding on the move, it didn't have the sewing machine cadence that you often see with RNS. It fed both on the muddy shore and in the water.

It was doing its own thing and not particularly associating with any of the other waders. It did fly a short distance after it bumped into a RCP. I suspect it quite liked the shoreline where we were watching it, because it happily moved up and back again a couple of times. It didn't seem to be bothered by our presence [it was aware of us but didn't seem to change its behaviour] at a distance of ~ 20 metres. I suspect that when it popped up for a high flight, it may have been stretching its wings. Chris tells me that it was seen again at 3 pm.

Finally, a comment on the distribution map in P&K (which in my older edition has shading in a strip from Sydney to Adelaide and down the east coast of Tasmania). There have been relatively few recognised sightings in Australia - so there is very little knowledge of where these birds [which normally shuttle up and down the Americas] actually go when they end up in Australia. The chances are that the birds are seen when they turn up in an area where the most of birders live. For example, the first accepted sighting was in Altona in the early sixties. Birds like Buffy are possibly just as likely to turn up anywhere else in Australia - that has the right sort of shore conditions - as they are to turn up in the areas marked on the distribution maps.

The bottom line is that you shouldn't rule out a vagrant based on a distribution map because the state of knowledge about these birds in Australia may be based on a very small number of sightings.

Once again, I would like to thank Chris for his help in finding the bird and to the birders who kindly invited David and myself to look in their scopes the moment we arrived at their location. Chris will have the final count of the number of twitchers who turned up yesterday. People were coming and going while I was there - I think the maximum number at any one time may have been 14.

I don't often run into large groups of birders like that [the exceptions are tour groups, wader study groups and pelagic boatloads]. I was wondering what the appropriate collective noun is for a group of twitchers that forms in the vicinity of a rarite - perhaps in a similar manner to the way a flock of seabirds forms around a school of bait fish. Any suggestions?

Regards, Laurie.