birding-aus

RFI - Bintan Island off Singapore

To: "Carl Clifford" <>, "Steve Potter" <>
Subject: RFI - Bintan Island off Singapore
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:04:41 +1100

From: "Carl Clifford" <>
To: "Steve Potter" <>
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 5:13 PM

Steve,
If you would like a nice after conference break on a tropical island, I would suggest Tioman, off the East coast of Malaysia. You can get there from S'pore easily by air or sea. The birding there is not bad, with the majority of the island coverd with rainforest and there is an island just off shore with a colony of Christmas and Great Frigatebirds.

Do you mean a BREEDING colony of Christmas Frigatebirds (or just a roost site)?

Great news if true because I thought this was a Christmas Island endemic and good if there was another breeding population from a conservation viewpoint.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136