birding-aus

Bruny Island Tasmania (was Re: [Birding-Aus] new birds - Black Cockatoos

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bruny Island Tasmania (was Re: [Birding-Aus] new birds - Black Cockatoos, Geelong, Vic)
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 23:19:22 +1000

While I have seen Black Cockatoos feeding on hakea seeds (I think), on and close to the ground in very low coastal heathlands in Croajingalong NP, East
Gippsland and other places. This has always been in 'wild',
un(human)-populated places.

Just last Wednesday I saw a group of about 5 or 6 YTBCs doing exactly that in a heath on top of Cape Bruny, Bruny Island Tasmania. In the heath that's all over the headland which you walk through to go up to the lighthouse. Got one not very good picture of them in the heath and a couple more of them flying away as a tourist scared them off by getting too close. I've never seen them in coastal heath before.

Also while on Bruny Island, got a glimpse of at least one Swift Parrot as it (and I'm fairly sure its partner) was moving about high up from tree to tree and calling with the distinctive tink-tink call, near the Bruny Island Cheese Co., in fact in the grounds of the factory as we were drinking coffee outside after the cheese tasting. Way too quick for even the dodgiest of photos, they'd moved off into the trees before I could get my camera ready. The woman in the cheese company said that the parrots had been seen along the road nearby frequently all summer.

4WD Bashing along the forestry tracks further on the south of the island was quite fun, but also depressing to come across the clear- felled sections and the parts where all the trees were obvious re- growth with every tree the same approximate age and size.

Also saw my first black-headed honeyeater in Freycinet National Park, along the main walking track that leads from the lookout to Wineglass Bay, about half way down to the bay from the top. Also have to say that was the busiest walking track I've ever been on.