birding-aus

Birds Crashing into Buildings

To: michael norris <>
Subject: Birds Crashing into Buildings
From: Stephen Ransom <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:42:48 +1100
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your compliments and suggestions.

I have an article here which mentions that in one year alone 30 Swifties died
hitting buildings. Doesn't say which year it was though.

What I am interested in specifically is any attempts to design buildings in a
way that minimizes the incidences of birds hitting buildings. Eg. I have an
article here that suggests that mounting glass windows on a 20 degree downward
angle helps, as do other less high tech methods such as putting stickers/decals
at particular intervals on windows.

My task is to come up with a list of methods that architects and builders can
incorporate into their buildings that will actually reduce the number of
crashes occurring.

It seems to me that there are 2 major issues - glass and light. We have
addressed lighting issues in other credits. Specifically with this credit I am
interested in addressing the glass.

Are you aware of any articles or other studies on the topic? Any leads you can
give me would be helpful.

I've copied this to Birding-Aus because I think perhaps I was not clear in my
last post as to what I am after.

Thanks again for the information.

Kind Regards,
Stephen Ransom

Stephen Ransom
Technical Coordinator
Green Building Council of Australia

Level 15, 179 Elizabeth St Sydney NSW 2000
Postal: PO Box Q78 QVB NSW 1230
Direct +612 8239 6267 | Office +612 8239 6200 | Fax +612 8252 8223
http://www.gbca.org.au

DISCLAIMER: This email is intended only for the person or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, any use, interference
with, disclosure or copying of this email is unauthorised and prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please delete this email and
notify us promptly. If you or your employers do not consent to email
messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
and other information contained in this email are not given or endorsed by
Green Building Council of Australia unless otherwise indicated by an authorised
representative independently of this email.