birding-aus

Birds Crashing into Buildings

To: "'michael norris'" <>, "'Stephen Ransom'" <>
Subject: Birds Crashing into Buildings
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:04:11 +1100
I suspect that the incidence of bird collisions in Australia is a lot higher
than you think, Michael, although, as far as I'm aware, there are no
official statistics.

Last year I advised the NSW RTA on how to prevent bird collisions with
transparent or semi-transparent road noise walls. Birds can see the UV part
of the light spectrum whereas humans can't. There is a range of plastic and
glass materials that contain UV-reflective films or paints, developed mostly
in North America and Europe, which make windows and other structures more
visible to birds, but still allow us to see clearly through them. Use of
these materials in buildings (in North America and Germany, in particular)
has been very successful in significantly reducing bird collisions. There
are many other preventative measures (e.g. use of fritted glass or plastics,
angling of windows, use of bird screens & decals), which when I have the
time will describe on Birding-aus.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Ambrose Ecological Services Pty Ltd
Ryde, NSW