birding-aus

Trip through Outback NSW

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Trip through Outback NSW
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:45:44 -0800 (PST)
For two and a half years I had to drive every month from Brisbane to Lightning
Ridge via Goondiwindi on business.  I found it more pleasant to drive to
Goondiwindi via Warwick, even though it was a slighlty longer drive, as the
country was more interesting and the road was of a better quality.  Along the
way I used to drop into Durakai SF and try for Painted HE and lots of other
nice things. Check out this link for some ideas -
http://www.birdsqueensland.org.au/gazetteer-seq.php

The drive from Moree to Walgett is really dull with not a lot to offer in my
opinion from a birding perspective (wheat and cotton mono cultures), instead
from Goondiwindi I used to head out to St George but before reaching it I would
drop down on route 46 to Thallon then across to Dirranbandi, then via Hebel to
Lightning Ridge.

This was a much more pleasant trip with stops in remnant vege along the way
where ever I got bored of driving and could see bird activity.  Between Walgett
and Lightning Ridge, near the Collarenebri turnoff I have seen superb parrots
which has to be at the northern limit of their range.  Mulga, Blue-bonnets,
Mallee Ringnecks would be a dead cert on this drive as well.  Once after
flooding I saw flocks of 100's if not thousands of Nankeen Night-herons -
amazing.  At Lightning Ridge one morning I had a Barking Owl in the tree right
outside the door to my motel room.

The other option would be to head toward Bowra Station (for Halls Babbler,
Chestnut-breasted Quail Thrush, Grey Falcon, Black Falcon, Major Mitchell
Cockatoo etc) out at Cunnamulla then drop down to Bourke.  That would be a
great addition to your trip and is well worth considering.  Of course if you
wanted to be totally silly about it, what about heading out to Coopers Crossing
and and getting the Grey Grasswren as well?;-)

I know it is a bit off your original planned route but it might get you
thinking of some other possibilities.

If you want more details feel free to drop me an email off line.

Cheers,

Carl Billingham
Brisbane, Qld

Trip through Outback NSW
from [Peter Odekerken] [Permanent Link][Original]
From: Peter Odekerken < >
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:26:09 +1000
Can anyone help. I am having to travel to Adelaide starting mid next week via
Inverell, Moree, Walgett, Bourke, Cobar, Wilcannia, Broken Hill, Burra and then
onto Adelaide. I am particularly interested in parrots and cockatoos and was
hoping some members could kindly help in advising me of good areas such as
watering points that they could recommend to see birds such as Bourkes, dare I
say the elusive Scarlet- chested, Mulga, Blue-bonnets, Mallee Ringnecks,
Budgies, Major Mitchell Cockatoo, Elegant nearer to Adelaide. Also early next
month I will be traveling through Blanchetown and eventually Hattah-Kulkyne
(Regents), Wyperfield, the Grampians (Gang Gang Cockatoo) and then back to
Adelaide via Casterton and Mt. Gambier in the hope of seeing the sub-species
graptogyne of the Red-tailed Black Cockatoo. I would appreciate any advise and
recommendations. It should be still reasonably hot, so I imagine watering
points would be a great area to concentrate on.
Thanks,
Peter.

      Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out
more