birding-aus

Glossy black cockatoos

Subject: Glossy black cockatoos
From: Evan Beaver <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:04:18 +1100
Hi Don,

As someone who spent 18 months tracking down Glossies in the area you
request, I consider myself something of an authority on how difficult
it is to find them. If they're working, and you're keen, search the
archives for Evan+glossies. I think you'll find 150 posts.

Now that I've seen them, and had a pair move into the neighbourhood, I
feel better qualified to comment on how to find them. First of all,
it's really hard. Seems to me they have a roosting tree/valley that
they return to every evening, at about dusk. They also head out just
after dawn, then spend most of the day in one tree, macerating the
Casuarina cones until dusk.

So, finding them is a matter of checking as many reliable trees/areas
as possible. I posted a few months ago all the sites I knew to find
them, so I've included it below. Good luck... Learn the call! And
listen for the sound of chewing cones, which is surprisingly loud.
Much louder than Crimsons or Gang-Gangs feeding in Eucos:

Yeah, I've got a few sites, but it's a hard bird to find! Usually best
found by not looking for it, and listening for the sound of chewing
cones or chewed cones on the ground, which are usually pretty obvious
and whiter the fresher they are. Their call's worth knowing too, but
is often quiet. Anyway here you go:

In suburb order as you drive up the Blue Mountains, along the Great
Western Highway
Take Governors Drive at Lapstone, look in trees over the first bridge
and up the hill on the right. Turn left at hume rd, follow it to the
end then turn right. As you come up the hill look in the trees on the
road side next to the gully. There's 3 trees here I've seen them in.
Continue up the hill and follow the rd to Glenbrook. Head to Glenbrook
NP.
Casuarina up the hill from the toilets, at the far end of the Euroka
Clearing, in Glenbrook NP. There's a fire trail that runs out along
the ridge (can't remember the name) with some good trees and often
with chewed cones
Springwood Cemetry is probably the best bet and easiest. There's a
huge old Allocasuarina in the Catholic section
Sublime Pt, Leura

These are all the sites I've seen them, excluding remote ones in the
bush, and the family that flew over my house every day for 6 months!

EB

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW