birding-aus

Magpie Breeding

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Magpie Breeding
From: "Robyn" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:38:58 +1000
The poor magpies which own the local territory here in Maroochydore SEQ are
doing it tough these days.   What was a lovely area with large backyards and
plenty of trees has gradually degraded with the removal of many, many trees and
their replacement with units and concrete.

However, the same family of magpies has remained and eked out a living.   The
last three years, they have had to build their nest in palm trees - a different
one each year.   This year, they have raised FIVE young.   The poor female
looks in terrible condition, has lost most of her head and neck feathers, and
looks thin.   She does most of the caring for the young - they are weeks out of
the nest - but occasionally the male takes one or two, but she often has the
five.  I have never seen a young pair of magpies with five young, let alone one
as old as she is.   I don't know how old she is, but when her previous mate
became too old to breed maye ten years ago, she took a toyboy who is still the
encumbent.   There are no birds from previous breedings to assist her - at
least, not that I have seen in the area.   Hope the poor thing lives to raise
them all to independence.

Robyn