birding-aus

Brown Quail at Paynes Crossing?

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Brown Quail at Paynes Crossing?
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:24:08 +1100
A quick question. Iwas at Paynes Crossing (near Wollombi) in the Hunter Valley
for a couple of days over the Christmas break and heard a call, which I suspect
is a Brown Quail but doesn't sound quite right. I haven't recorded this species
here before, but they have had a good year and there is plenty of long grass (a
Pheasant Coucal was heard calling as well and this is the first time I have
recorded this species here on about a dozen visits).
The call was heard a number of times including about at about 10PM one night,
between about 7 and 7:30 the next morning and then a couple of times at dusk on
that night (the 21st) around the same time as a White-throated Nightjar gave a
couple of calls (8:45). Despite listening the next morning it was not heard
again. I also had a hunt around in the long grass but didn't flush any birds.
The call is a ascending "veeeeer" which sounds very much like the call on the
BOCA tape for this species, but I never heard the first note of the double
call. It may have been further away than I thought (I suspected around 100
metres) and so the fist note was not audible, or it may have only been giving a
single note (does anyone have experience with this?). It is not a species I
hear frequently, but on hearing it my thoughts were quail.
Any peoples thoughts on the likely species would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Peter
It's simple! Sell your car for just $40 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org