birding-aus

Migrant terns in Caloundra, SEQ, by the thousand

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Migrant terns in Caloundra, SEQ, by the thousand
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:05:39 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Caloundra is in South-East Qld, about 90km north of Brisbane.

On Thursday at sundown I watched thousands of terns coming in to roost for the evening on the intertidal sandbanks opposite Golden Beach in the Pumicestone Passage. I was on the mainland.

My attempt to assess the species and number was hampered by a northerly wind blowing at about 15kt, but it was possible to get some guage of what was there. The shorebirds were just too hard, as they were just brown blobs shaking up and down in the scope. At least I was able to view the birds side-on, and work out what proportion of tern species I had in the flock. I estimated 60% Common Tern and 40% White-winged Black Tern, with some Littles present, and a few Cresteds. I was able to pick out a few young White-wings, but I wouldn't dare to estimate their numbers. I had the scope on 60x zoom at times, so distant was the flock. I never use 60x, as most of the time it is useless.

White-winged Terns:   3700
Common Terns:            4000
Crested Terns:              150
Little Terns:               at least 50, but in the distance, who knows how many?
The numbers above are very rubbery, but are not exaggerated. Because of the northerly wind, the migrants were flying in from south up the Passage like a flowing river, and by the time I left there would have been many more present than I have estimated.
By golly I was so excited, I just wanted to hug myself. This is the first decent flock I have seen in a while.

I have no idea whether the birds will continue to roost in Caloundra, or whether they will move on. They do move about quite a bit, depending on where the bait fish are.

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening