birding-aus

Digital SLR for bird photography

To: "" <>
Subject: Digital SLR for bird photography
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:42:54 -0800 (PST)
--- On Fri, 12/12/08, Peter Shute <> wrote:
>> In the old days of film and manual focus only cameras
>> focussing screens were fantastic and had split prisms
>> etc to
> I didn't know that.  I assume the optical screens on
> DSLRs are much better that the approx 100k pixel electronic
> viewfinder on my Canon S3, but perhaps not so much better as
> I thought.  Are there particular brands and models that have
> better focusing screens than the rest?

Having an optical viewfinder makes a big difference.  Even on my compact camera
I find the optical viewfinder essential because normal daylight makes the
screen useless.  I can also turn the screen off and save battery power.

Some DSLRs may have replaceable focussing screens.  I know that it's possible
to get a split image screen for my old Pentax MZ5 film camera.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Custom-Focusing-Screens--store.html

> Given the number of occasions that the bird is behind twigs
> or leaves, I would have thought that the quality of manual
> focusing was essential, yet it doesn't seem to be
> discussed that often.

I think I mentioned this issue in email to you Peter. :)  The other thing I
mentioned is that I discovered that the best photos of wildlife are when the
animal's eyes are in focus.  The AF isn't so smart.

Regards,
Rob