birding-aus

RFI Riverina/Cocoparra

To: Tim Dolby <>, <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Riverina/Cocoparra
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:13:20 +1100
Tim's comment at the very bottom is worth noting. GBC are very rare in the
riverina (in fact they are an Endangered Population under NSW threatened
Species legend) and I suspect the numbers are still falling (Murrumbidgee field
nats do annual counts and they seem to be disappearing). They are found on a
number of rocky hillsides including the Narrandera Hills, Cocoparra and various
ranges to the north where Drooping Sheoak (Allocasuarina verticillata) is
found. The Mt Brogden track is one of the few spots that this species is
accessible without bush-bashing so this is the spot where in the past most
records have been made. It is worth a look in this area, but other spots such
as Gap Dam SF (to the north on the Mid Western Highway) are possibly better.
Mt Brogden is also one of the few spots in Cocoparra where Chestnut
Quail-thrush have been recorded (though I suspect there numbers are fairly low
in the park generally) and apart from Round Hill/Nombinnie they are probably
pretty scarce in central NSW generally (I can't remember recent records for
Pulletop NR though they are still in Loughnan NR near Hillston).
Cheers,
Peter