birding-aus

Common Koel? (Altona, Vic)

To: "Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: Common Koel? (Altona, Vic)
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 04:27:51 -0800 (PST)
--- On Sun, 11/30/08, Peter Shute <> wrote:
>  The call isn't as loud as I remember it, presumably
> because it's almost drowned out by closer birds.  I can
> hear it call six times on that recording.
> Could that call be a Common Koel, and if not, what is it?

This only other thing I can think of that sounds vaguely similar is an over
excited male Crested Pigeon.  Your recording sounds like a distant Koel to me,
but if you were quite close it seems odd, because they are very loud.

Speaking of bird calls, I saw an Olive Backed Oriole today, calling busily and
realised that I have heard the call very frequently, particularly around the
Sydney region.  I heard it before I saw it, and thought at first that it was a
Black Faced Cuckoo-Shrike, but then realised the call was wrong - and much too
loud!  I think it was immature, because it wasn't as colourful as other Orioles
I've seen.

> Also, what should I be calling this species now - Common,
> Eastern or Australian Koel?

In my Simpson & Day 7th edition Field Guide it's called a Common Koel.

Rob