birding-aus

Common Koel? (Altona, Vic)

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Common Koel? (Altona, Vic)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:03:05 +1100
I read Steve Davidson's Birdline of 28/11/008 for a possible Common Koel heard
at Truganina Parklands in Altona (AKA 100 Steps of Federation), and spent a bit
of time there on the weekend, on the off chance that it was still around.

On both Saturday and Sunday mornings I heard a bird that could possibly have
been it, but which didn't sound much like the calls on the BOCA CDs, and which
I don't think I've heard before.  Instead of the usual coo-eee, this was just a
loud cooor, repeated every few seconds.

I tried several times to track it down, but it was moving continually.  Just
once I saw a bird fly off that might qualify, like a large, dark wattlebird,
but I only saw it from behind.

I circled around the pond just west of the car park so many times that I came
to the conclusion that it was actively avoiding me.  So I made a video to
capture the call, and have extracted just the audio (14 seconds, 122KB), and
I'm wondering if anyone more familiar with this species would like to have a
listen.  It's at http://member.melbpc.org.au/~pshute/koelnov2008//MVI_8132.mp3.
 The call isn't as loud as I remember it, presumably because it's almost
drowned out by closer birds.  I can hear it call six times on that recording.

Could that call be a Common Koel, and if not, what is it?

Also, what should I be calling this species now - Common, Eastern or Australian
Koel?

Peter Shute==============================www.birding-aus.org