birding-aus

Black-necked Stalkers' twitchathon report

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black-necked Stalkers' twitchathon report
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:21:57 +1100
The Black-necked Stalkers, based in the Clarence Valley, north coast NSW, once
again participated in the NSW Twitchathon on 25-26 October 2008.  The team was
Maureen O'Shea, Russell Jago and me (Head Stalker) with Maree Davis as scribe.
Unlike, 2007, when we started at Moree, we decided to remain in the Clarence
Valley this year.  Last year we recorded 205 species.  This year we tallied
197.  Although we were happy with the total, considering it was obtained
totally within the one River Valley, it is clear that to get up there with the
leaders we will need to include a western component.  Planning is already
underway for 2009.

Twitchathon tallies rely on a combination of experience, local knowledge, the
weather and, most importantly, luck.
We had most of these components this year with no wild storms as experienced in
previous years.  However, Sunday was a little hot and windy which affected bird
numbers.  We had a very productive Saturday afternoon recording 115 species
between 1600 hrs and bedtime (about 0130 hrs Sunday). Up at 0430 hrs we did
well in the Gibraltar Range and Washpool National Parks.  Down the hill to the
Clarence lowlands and things slowed down considerably due to the heat, wind and
the fact that most birds observed had been recorded on the previous day.  The
target species kept their heads down and a number of 'certainties' did not show
as predicted.

What we lacked in numbers we made up in quality.  A male Regent Bowerbird at
its bower was a highlight as was the great view, in sunlight, of a Rose-crowned
Fruit-Dove.

Threatened species recorded were: Emu, Black-necked Stork, Eastern Osprey,
Brolga, Comb-crested Jacana, Beach Stone-Curlew (on nest with egg), Pied
Oystercatcher, Sooty Oystercatcher, Little Lorikeet (provisionally listed as
threatened), Ground Parrot, Barking Owl (our first for a twitchathon!),
Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove, Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Rufous Scrub-bird, Black-chinned
Honeyeater and Paradise Riflebird.

We raised $1,000.00 this year, the most that we have ever raised!!.  Most of
this was raised by our team fundraiser, Sue Hawick, an invaluable team member.

Greg Clancy
Head Stalker
Black-necked Stalkers