birding-aus

2008 National Twitchathon Results

To: <>
Subject: 2008 National Twitchathon Results
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:51:49 +1100
Hi  all,

See below the results for the 2008 National Twitchathon. The NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
are once again the Hunter Home Brewers! Well done Mick & Steve Roderick, Craig
Anderson, Lucas Grenadier, & Eric. Go Brewers!

In Victoria the Champagne/8 hr race was won by 7 Year Twitchers with 153 birds
(Tim Dolby, Fiona Parkin), just a couple short of the all-time Victorian
record, while in NSW it was won by the Crested Shrike-twits, with 164 birds
(Lorna Mee & Paul Baird). I haven't managed to do a national result summary of
this event - I should.

The title for best bird undoubtedly goes to Simon Starr's 8 hr team, the
Yarrawalla Yahoos, who saw a Grey Falcon! This is possibly the 'best bird' ever
recorded in a Twitchathon.

Well done to those teams that participated in the fabulous film 'Chasing
Birds', the Hunter Home Brewers, Whacked-out Woodswallows, and Hunter
Thickheads. Without exception, you where all very  entertaining. Great stuff!
(I'm glad it was you; I reckon I would have made a complete prat of myself!)
Also well done Alan Morris, John Tongue and moi-même for organising the event.

Finally the following results and the event itself is of course just a bit of
birding fun. I encourage all birders to give it a go! It is worth noting that
in the last few years this event has raised over $100,000 for bird conservation
and research. This year was also the 25th anniversary of the Twitchathon in
Victoria, and possibly the most successful ever raced. An article celebrating
the anniversary of the Twitchathon will appear in the next Wingspan. I look
forward to reading it.

NATIONAL RESULTS

Rank  Dolby       State         Team Name and State
     Adjusted     Total
      Result

1.     110          237          Hunter Home Brewers (National & NSW Champion)
2.     109          236          Menacing Monarchs  (NSW)
3.     105          226          Rampaging Raptors (NSW)
4.     104          225          Whacked-out Woodswallows (NSW)
5.     103          223          Dodgy Drongos (NSW)
6.     98           107          Rate of Knots (TAS champion)
7.     97           191          Twitching Big Eyes (VIC Champion)
7.     97           104          White-fronted Chat-terboxes (TAS)
9.     94           185          Robin Rednecks (VIC)
10.    93           202          Central Coast Champion Choughs (NSW)
11.    92           200          Cheerful Drongos (NSW)
11.    92           200          Complete & Utter Bustards (NSW)
13.    91           197          Black-necked Stalkers (NSW)
14.    89           193          Hunter Thickheads (NSW)
14.    89           176          Common Loadmouths (VIC)
16.    81           160          Ruddy Bustards (VIC)
17.    75           162          Grey Toilet Thrushes (NSW)
18.    67           145          Eastern Whiplashes (NSW)
19.    61           67           The Chiff-chaff and the Riff-raff (TAS)
20.    49           97           Feisty Fledglings  (VIC)

NOTE: the results were calculated using 'Modified Dolby System', which is team
score = team total/state average of past winning scores x 100.

Any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby
Birds Australia - Victoria
Victorian Twitchathon Coordinator

_____________________________________

FOR REFERENCE: scores over last 10 years for VIC and NSW. TAS calculated over
last 3 years.

VICTORIAN 24 HOUR RESULTS LAST TEN YEARS: AVERAGE 197
2008    191      Twitching Big Eyes
2007    203      Seven Year Twitchers
2006    213      Bush Turkeys (Seven Year Twitcher close 2nd with 211).
2005    192      Seven Year Twitchers
2004    200      Bush Turkeys
2003    174      Tick Tock Twins
2002    175      Tick Tock Twins
2001    211      Bush Turkeys
2000    211      Bush Turkeys
1999    205      Common Driving Petrelhead

NSW & ACT 24 HOUR RESULTS LAST TEN YEARS: AVERAGE 212.3 (216)
2008    238      Hunter Home Brewers
2007    238      Hunter Home Brewers
2006    233      Hunter Home Brewers
2005    229      Whacked-out Woodswallows
2004    220      Hunter Home Brewers
2003    222      Whacked Out Woodswallows
2002    197      Whacked-out Woodswallows
2001    218      Grey Toilet Thrushes
2000    185      Grey Toilet Thrushes
1999    178      Central Coast Champions & No GST

TASMANIA 24 HOUR RESULTS LAST TWO YEARS: AVERAGE (109)
2008    107      Rate of Knots
2007    118      Two in the Bush
2006    103      Rate of Knots