birding-aus

Bush fires and birds

To: Denise Goodfellow <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bush fires and birds
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:31:17 +1000
Hi Denise,

        Years ago I spent a couple of very instructive weeks with Prof.
Harry Messel and his crocodile survey team on the Blyth River.  The Botanist
of the party, Graeme Wells, had developed a happy relationship with the
local people.  (Took me to an out-station to meet them but unfortunately
they were mostly away on the day.)

I hope I'm quoting him correctly as saying that the land thereabouts was
nominally divided into areas each 'owned' by a particular individual, whose
responsibility it was to burn it periodically to prevent the build-up of too
much long grass and other fuel.

But he was expected to do this by means of very light fires - under
circumstances where a fire would usually go out during the night.  And it
was considered a breach of good manners if his fire escaped from his area
and burnt into a neighbour's area.

Have I got that right?

Cheers

Syd

(BTW, I was greatly impressed by the crocs:  how delightful a baby croc is,
with a cry almost like the voice of a human baby.  And what ugly brutes the
really big ones are!)