birding-aus

Binoculars or scopes for birding

To: <>
Subject: Binoculars or scopes for birding
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:11:27 +1100
Hi Rob,

I am just going through the whole "Looking for Binoculars" thing at present. The 10X50s that I had before I started birding are OK except that the "close focus" is too far at 10 metres. Anything nearer and I can not get it in focus. It might not sound like much of a problem but closer focus is needed for bush birds flitting about in poor light or on the forest floor. Close focus is rarely mentioned in advertisements, and even in a lot of manufacturers "specifications". I am looking at a set of 8X42 from Andrews Communications in Sydney. They focus down to 2 metres. I chose 8X as a good magnification without being too high to hold steady. 42mm aperture gives extra light gathering power, not needed in open country in daylight but very useful in poor light conditions. Also have a look at the Barska range at Australian Geographic stores. I think they have more models in-store than on-line.

Both these are in the cheap to medium price range. If you can afford to buy better, do so, but check the close focus.

Roger