birding-aus

Painted Snipe, Edithvale Wetlands, Vic

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Painted Snipe, Edithvale Wetlands, Vic
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:39:40 +1100
Since this has been popular both as a subject on this forum and on site with perhaps hundreds of people twitching this bird you may be interested in what else is there. Andrew Silcocks and I did our regular monthly survey there on Tuesday 4 November. We logged 77 bird species of which 44 were wetland dependent or raptors. In addition to the Painted Snipe, notable observations included 2 Magpie Geese, 13 Blue-billed Ducks, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 White-necked Heron, 4 Australasian Bitterns, 4 Royal Spoonbills, 10 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, 2 pairs Swamp Harrier, 1 Buff-banded Rail, 19 Baillon's Crakes, 8 Australian Spotted Crakes, 2 Spotless Crakes, 5 Latham's Snipe, 32 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 110 Black-winged Stilts and 30 Whiskered Terns. We didn't find any Australian Little Bitterns but as one was seen in October and the experience of the last two years suggests that they too are present but too well hidden in the extensive reed-beds. Significant for us among the land birds were 3 Sacred Kingfishers, two of which may be a pair. Hopefully these may breed for the first time. Edithvale Wetlands is a Ramsar site managed by Melbourne Water. The fenced area south of Edithvale Road has no public access, except to the hide when open, usually Saturday and Sunday afternoons. North of Edithvale Road, public access is permitted but not encouraged and one needs gum-boots or preferably waders with a knowledge of the geography for a successful visit.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136