birding-aus

PAINTED SNIPE AT EDITHVALE

To: <>
Subject: PAINTED SNIPE AT EDITHVALE
From: "Billinghurst, David (RTATECH)" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 23:10:04 +1100
> From:  Andrew Wood
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] PAINTED SNIPE AT EDITHVALE

> there yesterday evening at sunset, affording excellent views
> as it wandered around feeding on the mud. There was an
> Australian Spotted Crake out in the open as well.
>
> For non-Melburnians, Edithvale is 30km south of Melbourne.
> The hide is at Melway 93 D8. It is only open at weekends, but
> there is a view over the wetlands from a platform in the
> adjacent car park, from which we saw the birds yesterday.

Forwarded from: Jacqui Sheppard / Hide Roster Co-Ordinator

Edithvale Bird Hide, Melways  93 D8
Volunteers are generously manning the hide extra evenings to allow as
many people as possible to enjoy the close viewing of the rare Painted
Snipe. People are gaining excellent photos from the hide, even with
small digital cameras.
    Access beside the hide itself or along the tracks within the fenced
area is NOT PERMITTED. It is most disappointing that a few unethical
people have jeopardised the chances for others to also enjoy viewing and
photographing this rare bird. Risking disturbing  possible breeding
occurring here is totally disgraceful and thoughtless.
    On no account are the birds to be pursued or flushed. It would be a
shame to discontinue the service due to several selfish people.
    It is also important for people to come through the gate gently and
ascend the stairs as quietly as possible as the bird is quite nervous
now.
Opening Times; this Saturday and Sunday  1pm to 7pm.
Wednesday evenings,  6pm to 7.30pm, until the water dries out too much.

This email is confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this message from
your system without first printing or copying it. Any personal data in this
email (including any attachments) must be handled in accordance with the Rio
Tinto Group Data Protection Policy and all applicable data protection laws.