birding-aus

Bird list database

To: "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: Bird list database
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:24:54 +1200
2008/10/9 Peter Shute <>

>  wrote on Thursday, 9 October 2008 9:59
> AM:
>
> Very true.  Doesn't worry me (neither remote area access nor being a dude),
> as I enter the data later when I get home (often much later!).  I believe
> you can upload prepared data to it, but I haven't tried it and I'm not sure
> how easy that is.

Hi Peter

When I'm on a dude holiday, I rarely have the time or motivation to sit in
front of a screen keying-punching data!  That's what notebooks are for :-)

I've exported data from BirdInfo, done a few minor global edits, and
uploaded to Eremaea - it's pretty easy.

> That's always a potential problem, and one that can equally apply to a web
> site.  Maybe more so, as a web site can go offline should the owner decide
> to discontinue it.  I guess the lesson is to make sure that whatever you
> use, that you keep backups.  Eremaea allows you to dump your data to your
> computer, and I guess BirdInfo probably does too.

You can very easily dump all the BirdInfo data (or subsets thereof) into a
DBF database file, which you can then open and edit in various applications
including something like MS Excel.  This packs the data from the various
different modules of the relational database of BirdInfo (sites, visits,
species) into one file.  Various subsets or the lot can also be exported in
CSV and other text modes, in a variety of manipulated formats (survey
results by day, trip, season, year, site ...).  Backing up is a cinch (one
button job after setting up the default destination).

> Are you able to adjust the taxonomy of BirdInfo yourself if necessary, or
> does Simon have to do that?

Within limits - between Clements -> Sibley - overlay your own splits/lumps
from a set number of options - apply Australian taxonomy/sequence.  You can
add your own species now if you really want :-)  For Australia it also has
mammals, reptiles, frogs, butterflies and freshwater fish already loaded.
 For other countries you can add these through the species browser.

Cheers

--
Lawrie Conole